Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Overbooked Leads To Overcooked Attitude

| Right | May 19, 2015

(I am the owner of a family restaurant in the country and we are the only place open during the December holidays, and do get fully booked quite fast. A customer walks in 15 minutes before all our bookings arrive. We only serve 60 guests per night due to our small kitchen.)

Customer: “Good evening, Can I please have a table for 16 guests?”

Me: “No, unfortunately we are fully booked at this stage; we could however seat you at 20:30 or 21:00?”

Customer: “No, I don’t eat that late. Why can’t you just squeeze us in?”

Me: “I can do that, but if I do seat 16 of your guests with our other 60, then it’s just a recipe for disaster. As I said, I am more than happy to accommodate you when it has quieted down, at around 21:00.”

Customer: “No. You are a restaurant and you have to serve me!”

Me: “I am sorry, sir; we are fully booked.”

Customer: *to waiter* “I am never coming back here again! This is f****** ridiculous. I will tell all my friends and family that you don’t want to serve guests.”

Me: “Excuse me? I don’t understand. We are fully booked and can not serve you at this stage.”

Customer: “Who is the owner? I want to speak to the owner right now!”

Me: “I am the owner, sir, and as I explained to you I can not serve 16 guests on top of my other 60.”

Customer: “Well, you won’t be an owner for long!”

Me: “Well, then I wouldn’t have to deal with customers like you.”

(Customer left, still swearing, and eventually posted a complaint on a review website, to which the locals of the town ripped his comments a new one.)


Did you find this story using our Waitstaff roundup?

Click here to get to the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!