Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Man In His Time Drinks Many Cups

, , , , | Right | December 5, 2011

Customer: “Can you help me find a book?”

Me: “Sure! What’s it called?”

Customer: “It’s Romeo and Juliet, but it’s not by William Shakespeare.”

Me: “Oh! I actually don’t know any other books or plays with that title. Let’s look it up.”

Customer: “Hold on, I have the author’s name somewhere.”

(She digs through her purse and hands me a sheet of paper that says ROMEO AND JULIET (Folger Shakespeare) on it.)

Customer: “It’s like his grandson or something.”

Me: “Sorry, what?”

Customer: “Folger Shakespeare. It’s William Shakespeare’s grandson… or his nephew. He wrote a different version of the play, I guess.”

Me: “Folger Shakespeare actually just refers to the Folger Library version of that play. It’s still by William Shakespeare.”

Customer: “No, it’s his relative! It’s a rewrite of the play. I’m a theater student, just trust me on this.”

Me: “Okay. Let me take you over to our Shakespeare section.”

(We walk over to where his entire collection of plays is. It’s full of many different editions.)

Customer: “Wow, he came from a really talented family! Look at all these Shakespeares! So, where’s this Folger guy?”


This story is part of the Talk Like William Shakespeare Day roundup!

Read the next roundup story!

Read the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!