Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Dollar Makes Ten More

, , , , | Hopeless | June 7, 2016

(I work in a well known major grocery store on the registers. I’m not particularly fond of my job but I always go out of my way to go above and beyond for customers. This happens on my usual Saturday shift. A lovely old gentleman is buying some salmon that’s on special.)

Me: “Your total comes to $9 for those two packets, sir.”

(The older gentleman counts his money a few times before looking at me in despair.)

Older Man: “I’m awfully sorry but I seem to only have $8. How much is a single packet.”

(The special is $8 for two packets or $6 each.)

Me: “It’s $6 for the one, sir.”

(He counts his money again just to be sure he doesn’t have the needed dollar.)

Older Man: “Okay, I will just get the one today, then.”

(He looks so miserable that I make him an offer.)

Me: “I have an idea; I have a spare dollar here. You give me the $8 that you have there and I will throw in this dollar for you.”

Older Man: “Oh, you don’t have to do that! I will just get the one for $6.”

Me: “Nonsense! It’s too much of a good deal to pass up!”

(I finalise the transaction and he’s on his way. I continue to work for another couple of hours when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn to see the old man.)

Older Man: “I can’t let kindness that you showed me go unnoticed. I went home and got some more money and a present for you.”

(He hands me the dollar coin and a handful of instant scratchies.)

Me: “Oh, sir, that’s so lovely of you but it’s not necessary!”

Older Man: “You helped out an old man for no reason today. This is most definitely necessary. You have a lovely day, dear!”

(I spent the rest of my shift smiling, and I managed to win $10 on the instant scratchies!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!