Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Bready For This Level Of Cheapness, Part 2

, , , | Right | January 26, 2021

I work in an Italian restaurant. While it is a chain with hundreds of stores, we make everything from scratch. Like many restaurants of its type, we offer complimentary sliced bread to every table.

This weekend, our slicer has been broken, but we have simply given the bread unsliced and explained the situation, which most customers have accepted, but I’ve had the following conversation at least three times.

Me: “Here is your bread and olive oil. Just to let you know, our bread slicer is broken and we couldn’t get a replacement this weekend, so the bread is unsliced.”

Customer: “What? The bread is the whole reason we come here! What are you going to do about it?”

Me: “Well, we’re getting a new slicer as soon as possible, hopefully on Monday, so—”

Customer: “No! What are you going to do about it for me, right now?”

Me: *Sighing* “I’ll tell you what. For your trouble, I’ll comp the bread off your bill.”

Remember, this bread is already free. I generally hope they’ll realize I’m joking, and how ludicrous it is to demand compensation for your free food being ever so slightly less convenient, but, sadly, I still get this when the cheque comes out:

Customer: “Where’s my discount for the bread?”

Related:
Not Bready For This Level Of Cheapness

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!