Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Macchiato-No-No

| Right | July 13, 2017

(I work in a small cafe and doughnut shop in the middle of a big city. We serve traditional coffee here, meaning the sizes are a lot smaller than what people are used to from chain coffee houses. A woman and her teenage child come into our cafe. The woman orders a doughnut and a macchiato and the teen orders a small hot tea.)

Me: “All right, ma’am, that’ll be $[total], but I have to warn you we aren’t a [Chain Coffee Shop]. Our macchiatos are smaller, and are only about a shot of coffee.”

Customer: “Yes, okay.”

(She stands to the side of the counter and waits for her order. When it arrives, she slams her hand on the counter in anger.)

Me: “Is something wrong, ma’am?”

Customer: “I ORDERED A MACCHIATO AND YOU GAVE ME THIS?!”

Customer’s Child: *obviously embarrassed and flustered* “Mom, come on. He told you—”

Customer: “NOT NOW, [Child]!” *to me* “I told you to make me a macchiato. What is this s***?!”

Me: “That is a macchiato, ma’am. Real macchiatos are a lot smaller than what most places make.”

Customer: “That can’t be right! That’s not how they do them everywhere else!”

Customer’s Child: *who had obviously seen this happen before* “Mom, it’s no big deal. We can stop off at [Chain Coffee Shop] on our way home. Come on. You’re making a scene.”

(The woman points at her child’s tea, which is sitting next to her order.)

Customer: “Why is theirs so much bigger than mine?!”

Me: “Because they ordered a tea, and that’s the smallest size we have.”

Customer: “Well, I want my macchiato in one of those!”

Me: *becoming increasingly exasperated* “Ma’am, I told you already: the macchiatos here are only a single shot of coffee. That’s what a macchiato is; it’s a shot. I can make you a latte if you want, free of charge?”

(The customer proceeds to take the macchiato and slam it onto the counter, causing it to spill everywhere and drip onto the floor.)

Customer: “YOU JUST LOST YOURSELF A CUSTOMER, PAL! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! WE’RE NEVER COMING HERE AGAIN.”

(As the lady stormed out her kid stayed behind to help us clean up, apologizing profusely for their mother’s behavior. I’m really glad attitude like that isn’t passed down to future generations.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!