Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Founded On Good Deeds

, , | Right | May 2, 2016

(I work in a small branch of a national discount store. I’m a manager, so I’m not always running a register. At the time, I am on a register so my cashier can take a break. A man comes up to the registers, looking concerned about something. I brace myself for a complaint.)

Customer: “Can I talk to you for a second?”

Me: “Sure. What can I do for you?”

Customer: “Well, about ten years ago, I lost the screw on my glasses. I looked everywhere for it, but I couldn’t find it. Then one day, I did something nice for someone. And when I got home, I found the screw.”

(He pauses and seems to be waiting for a response.)

Me: “Wow, that’s awesome.”

Customer: “Recently I lost something precious to me. So I’m going to do something nice in the hopes that it will come back to me. So this is for you.”

(He hands me a gift card for a different store nearby.)

Me: “Really? Thank you! I hope everything works out and you find what you’re looking for.”

Customer: “Me, too.”

(I took that gift card and bought doughnuts for my coworkers. I keep hoping he’ll come back in the store and tell me if he found whatever he was looking for. I hope he did!)


This story is part of our Pay It Forward roundup!

Read the next Pay It Forward story!

Read the Pay It Forward roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!