Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Choose Your Battles, Not Your Linens

, , , | Right | February 13, 2021

I am working the evening front desk shift at my hotel and just checked in a very sweet elderly woman. I’m standing at the desk when the phone rings. It is the same woman who I just checked in, calling from her room.

Guest: “Hi, miss, this is [Guest] in 300. Could you come up for a bit?”

Since I am not supposed to leave the front desk unattended, I normally would ask the guest what they need and have them come down to the desk if they could, but since she is on the top floor and we are at a low occupancy, I decide to quickly run up.

Me: *Knocking* “It’s the front desk!”

Guest: “Hi, miss. I’m so sorry to do this; I normally do not complain, but I have a few concerns about the room.”

Me: “Okay! What seems to be the issue?”

Guest: “Well, the bed skirt is not aligned.”

I see that the bed skirt is pulled off slightly. I lift up the mattress to slide it back in place.

Guest: “Thank you. Now, I also noticed I only have one washcloth, and I will need a few more.”

Me: “Okay! I can go grab you come right now!”

Guest: “And it smells like someone has been laying on these pillows. Could you smell them?”

I stand there for a second, not knowing how to respond.

Me: “Um, yes, ma’am. I can do that.”

I smell them. They smell like the rest of our linens, which is a mild soap and fabric smell.

Guest: “What do you think? Does it smell like anyone you know?”

Me: “Not really, ma’am, I just smell our hotel detergent.”

Guest: “Okay, can you replace the pillows, just in case?”

I take the pillows to the nearest housekeeping room, wait a few minutes, and bring them back.

Guest: “Now these are fresh! Thank you!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!