Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Can They Haggle? No Or No?

, , , , | Right | September 23, 2020

A customer calls and asks for a quote on a new trailer. I tell him the MSRP is $6,000.00 as advertised on our website. I then take his information down for possible follow-up. Several days later, he walks in with his twelve- or thirteen-year-old son, gives his name, and says he has been negotiating with me about a trailer and has an offer for me. I come up to him and he pulls out a roll of hundred dollar bills.

Customer: “I’m [Customer]; we talked on the phone earlier. Now I know how this works; I know every trick in the book. Here is the way this is going to go, and I don’t want anything from you but yes or no. I will give you $7,500.00 cash right now for the [specific trailer] on your lot. I won’t haggle, just a yes or no. You either take it or I’m walking out of here. If you need to check with your boss, you go right ahead.”

Me: “Can you give me just a moment?”

I go to get the paperwork for the trailer and compose myself. When I come back…

Customer: “Yes or no. I don’t want to hear you say anything else. I will not negotiate with you. I’ll just turn around and walk out of here, right now.”

Me: “Yes, sir, I believe I will have to make that work.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!