Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Boy Is That Teacher In Trouble

, , , , | Learning | December 7, 2017

(Just a few months ago, two students in my year at school came out as transgender. Both were born female but identify as male, and they have been easily accepted by almost everyone. They have had their genders changed on the school registers, and their feminine names altered to the masculine ones they prefer. Aside from the odd bully, they never seem to get into much trouble, until our school pulls a small group of students out of classes for a special workshop and talk. The two trans students and about 30 others, myself included, show up at the hall where the talk is going to take place. The teacher greets us in the usual manner you would expect and ushers us inside. That’s when things start to go downhill.)

Teacher: “Hello, ladies! As most of you know, National Women in Engineering Day was last week and [School] has picked you guys to participate in a workshop that we hope will encourage you to take a career in engineering when you leave school.”

(By this point, many of us are glancing towards the two trans students. They look extremely uncomfortable, obviously wondering if there has been some kind of mix up.)

Teacher: “You girls are the highest performing students in STEM–” *Science Technology Engineering Maths* “–out of your year, so we feel you are more than capable of completing these tasks we have selected.”

(The two students stand, starting to leave, as there is no real reason for them to be there.)

Teacher: “[Student #1], [Student #2]! Where are you going?”

Student #1: “To class, Mrs. [Teacher].”

Teacher: “No! Sit back down, and be respectful!”

Student #2: “But miss, this is a workshop about women in engineering and we’re—”

Teacher: *interrupting* “I know what you girls are! Stop with this ridiculous nonsense about being boys. You are girls, you were born girls, and you will always be girls.”

(Everyone in the entire hall has their jaws on the floor. The trans students look understandably upset, while the teacher is simply glaring at them. None of us know what to do, until another student stands up, and stalks out of the room. There is silence for a few minutes. The student returns with one of the deputy heads.)

Deputy Head: “Mrs. [Teacher]. May I have a word with these students?”

(The teacher looks smug and nods.)

Deputy Head: “What Mrs. [Teacher] has just said is absolutely incorrect. Girls can be boys, and boys can be girls. I hope that none of you will support the nonsense view that she has just tried to teach you. Mrs. [Teacher], my office. Now.”


This story is part of the Even-More-Transgender-Stories-themed roundup!

Read the next Even-More-Transgender-Stories-themed roundup story!

Read the Even-More-Transgender-Stories-themed roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!