Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Big Company, Cut Me Loose, Set Me Free

, , , , | Working | July 17, 2020

We’re in the process of setting up new phone and Internet service through a new — to us — IT company. The IT company requests that we call our current provider to confirm cancellation.  

I make the first call to the small business line.

Me: “Hi. I’m calling because we’ve switched our service provider to [New Company] and I’ve been asked to call and confirm you’ve disconnected our service with your company.”

Representative #1: *Asks verification questions* “Okay, well, no one can help you with this in our department. You’ll have to call the Wholesale Department at [number].”

I make my second call to the wholesale line.

Me: “Hi. I’m calling because we’ve switched our service provider to [New Company] and I’ve been asked to call and confirm you’ve disconnected our service with your company. I’ve just spoken with [Representative #1] in Small Business and he said I have to speak with you.”

Representative #2: “I don’t know why they’d have you call me. I see that a port request was made, but it wasn’t for all numbers, and one repeats. Plus, this wasn’t made by [New Company]; this was requested by ‘Level 3,’ but I don’t know who that is and there’s nothing in the notes.”

Me: “I don’t understand what you’re referring to. We’re working with an IT company that is working with [New Company] and I’ve just been asked to call and make sure all our services are canceled with you.”

[Representative #2] repeats the same information over again.

Me: “Again, I’m just calling to confirm our services have been disconnected with you. If they haven’t yet, then we need to have them disconnected.”

Representative #2: *Repeats the information again* “—and that’s all I can help with. Here’s your ticket number; you’ll have to call [New Company].”

I disconnect the call as I’m frustrated and only have so much time to spend on this at the moment. I email IT and explain that I’ve tried to disconnect and they are just telling me to call [New Company], which I have not done because there’s nothing [New Company] can do. I’m hopeful that IT will have something to offer as to why this is so difficult.

IT Email: “Just call the number for customer service on your [New Company] bill. Give them your account number and request that all services be canceled ASAP. Ignore anything they say about your phone numbers being lost, etc. They may give you a little bit of a last-ditch sales pitch, but just hold firm and tell them you have already switched everything and just need to cancel.”

I’m frustrated since this is what I’ve been trying to do. I call customer service again, changing my wording a little.

This is now my third call, which is to general customer service for business.

Representative #3: “Hi, my name is [Representative #3]; how can I assist you today?”

Me: “Hi, I’m calling because we’ve switched our service provider to [New Company] and our services with you need to be disconnected.”

[Representative #3] hangs up on me.

I make my fourth call, also to general customer service for business.

Representative #4: “Hi, my name is [Representative #4]; how can I assist you today?”

Me: “Hi, this is my fourth call today. I’m calling because we’ve switched our service provider to [New Company] and our services with you need to be disconnected.”

[Representative #4] tries to talk me into staying, gives me price options, etc.

Me: “No, thank you. I just want the service disconnected. There’s no need for any of that.”

Representative #4: “Okay, give me just a few minutes and I can disconnect your service.” 

This representative comes back on the line with a confirmation number.

Me: “I appreciate your help today; as I said before, you’re the fourth person I’ve spoken with, but the only one that has helped me with this.”

Representative #4: “Yeah, I looked at the notes while I was performing the disconnect, and I can see all the other times you called today requesting a disconnect. No one else ever took action. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.”

Wow!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!