Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Accept My Big Bag Of “No”

, , | Right | November 29, 2023

I always have this ridiculous idea that, when I go to a store, it truly is just to get a few things. I refuse to get a cart and use only my reusable shopping bag to put my things in. 

As usual, I fill up my bag, and I have three or four items in my arms, including one heavy item. I get in a short line to check out. The woman in front of me has put her items on the conveyor belt, and the person in front of her is still working through their order. The woman turns to look at me and then offers to let me go in front of her. I’m not in a hurry at all, so I decline.

Customer: “No, really! Get in front of me. I don’t mind. You only have a few things.”

Me: “No, really, it’s fine.”

Customer: “No, I insist!”

Me: “I don’t think I can fit in front. It’s fine, it’s not a long line.”

Customer: “No, really!”

She pushes her items back a bit on the conveyor belt to leave a small space clear for me.

At this point, it’s easier just to go along with her kind intentions. The problem is that I have a full bag plus the few items in my arms, and the little space she’s cleared is nowhere near enough for my stuff. I awkwardly try to squeeze in front of her and then even more awkwardly try to stack up my fifteen or so items in the eight-inch gap she’s left me.

Customer: “Oh… I didn’t realize you had all that.”

Me: “That’s why I kept saying no.”

I shrugged and carried on. No sense in trying to squeeze back behind her now! I ended up handing the cashier items directly from my bag since there was not enough space on the belt.

I was so glad to get out of there! I know she was trying to be kind, but just accept the “No, thank you”!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!