Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Surprisingly Sweet Ending

, , , , | Right | November 15, 2019

(Since I started working in a charity shop, I’ve learned that people are not above arguing over prices or even stealing from us even though our role is to raise funds for our organisation. I’ve come to low-key dread customers looking at certain items — if a donated item is brand-new or from an expensive brand, we tend to sell it at about half its retail price, depending on the condition. A very friendly lady comes in to look at shoes, and goes straight for a €40 leather pair that have an original price of €198 still on them. They don’t fit, but she finds two cheaper new pairs that do between conversations. Sadly, we don’t take card payments, so she has to go out to get cash while we hold her items. It takes a while for her to come back, but she does return with exact change!) 

Customer: *after handing over cash* “Are there just the three of you here today?”

Coworker: “Yeah, it’s just us–” *indicating me* “–and [Supervisor] for now.”

(She then hands us three chocolate bars from an open four-pack.)

Customer: “Here, you have these for your tea break. God knows I don’t need to eat them all!”

(Having a customer be so nice and NOT argue or dither over such prices was a rare treat, but this little gesture really made our day. Lady, I wish you all the best with your shoes and everything else in life!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!