Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Most Ir-Regular Way To Treat Employees

, , , | Right | CREDIT: PifflePrincess21 | November 4, 2022

I work at a family-owned restaurant. I’m the only employee there who isn’t family, but they pretty much treat me like a niece.

Last month, the mother of the owner was on her literal deathbed. It was a sad time, and we knew she had little time left. My boss left to visit and say her goodbyes; her mom lives in another country. Her sister, my coworker, couldn’t visit since she has a small child who had doctor’s appointments she couldn’t miss, so my boss left her sister and me to take care of the restaurant in her absence.

Sadly, her mom passed away on a Thursday evening. Her sister was understandably pretty upset, and we agreed she wouldn’t be working the next day. Therefore, I wouldn’t, either, and we would have to close the restaurant for the rest of the week since the restaurant needs at least two people.

We opened the next week, as usual. My coworker and boss were feeling still pretty sad but wanted to do something to take their mind off things.

About two weeks later, two guys arrived at the restaurant, placed their order, and sat and waited. When I went to serve their plates, my coworker walked by and said hi to them, since they used to be regulars at some point and she knew them pretty well.

Coworker: “How are you? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you.”

Guy #1: “We did try to come by a few weeks ago, but you were closed.”

Coworker: “Yeah, we closed because we had a family situation.”

Guy #2: *Loudly* “So what? It’s a restaurant! You guys should always be open!”

My coworker just smiled, apologized, and walked away. I was so mad. I walked away to get the rest of the dishes, and when I came back I simply told them:

Me: “We closed that week because [Coworker]’s mom passed away.”

I have never seen two grown-a** guys get as quiet as they did at that moment.

Me: “We’re sorry for closing, but I think it was justified. Have a nice meal.”

They just ate in silence and left as soon as possible. I never told my coworker that I told those guys about why we closed. I haven’t seen them since, either.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!