Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Grande Attitude Problem

, , , , | Working | February 11, 2022

I am in a very popular coffee shop chain. I worked at this specific chain for four years but quit to focus on my degree. As such, I’m very aware of the proper “terminology” for ordering and I try to make it as easy as possible for the barista.

I walk up to the counter, and the supervisor is chatting with a new trainee away from the cash register. I stand and wait patiently… and wait… and wait… The supervisor has her back to me and doesn’t seem intent on checking to see if anyone is ready to order, so a couple of minutes pass before she notices me.

She walks up to the cash without a smile or eye contact, looking at some note she’s writing.

Supervisor: “What can I get you?”

Me: “Hi! I’d like a grande pumpkin cream cold brew with light ice, please.”

Supervisor: “Okay, that’ll be [amount].”

I don’t really pay attention to the amount of money and just scan my card because she’s already walked away with my cup.

I wait at the end, and the trainee is making my drink as the supervisor watches over his shoulder like a hawk. He’s visibly very nervous and shaking a little. I remember being a brand new barista in a fast-paced store and I sympathize with him.

He hands me a drink that is smaller than I thought — definitely not the grande I ordered. Keep in mind, I worked at this chain for a long time and I never, ever order anything smaller than a grande because I like my caffeine. No one else was in front of me in line so it must be my drink.

Me: “Um, is this my drink? It looks a little small. I ordered a grande.”

The trainee looks like he’s about to faint he’s so nervous as he glances over at his supervisor. She YELLS at me from the other side of the counter in an extremely confrontational tone. 

Supervisor: “You said small!” 

I am utterly taken aback because one, as I said, I worked at this store and would never say “small” if I really meant a “tall”, and two, as I also pointed out, I’ve NEVER ordered anything smaller than a grande. 

I am so shocked by her rude outburst that I reply:

Me: “I definitely said grande.”

She just stares at me and spits out:

Supervisor: “Well, I can’t remake it.” 

I just shook my head, took my drink, and left, shaken up by the unsettling conversation. I would have been happy to pay for the difference if I had accidentally been charged for a smaller size than a grande, but she didn’t offer that and didn’t seem keen on offering any other solutions. 

I was so upset by the weird confrontation that I went home and went onto the online LiveChat with their customer service. I let them know the way the supervisor spoke to me — blaming me for the wrong size and then refusing to do anything to fix it, even just pouring it into a larger cup and adding more water!

I didn’t want any sort of compensation, just for them to talk to the supervisor and let her know that speaking to customers in that way is unacceptable and upsetting, but they offered me a $15 gift card, which I accepted. I’ll definitely use it… just not at that specific store.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!