Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #92601

, , , | Unfiltered | September 2, 2017

(Background: I was shopping for a car. I foolishly allowed myself to be put through a high-pressure situation that ate up most of my Saturday as I was slowly guilted (yes, guilted) into nearly buying a car that was WAY outside of my budget. I didn’t have the self-confidence to control the situation, nor the knowledge of my options and power as the consumer, and the salesman took full advantage of it. He also, through the course of conversation, learned that I was (am) a Christian and in an attempt to connect with me he mentioned that he “goes to church, too.” I came to my senses regarding the sale and walked away when I was able to get away from him for about 30 minutes and was about to sign the financing. I booked it out of the dealership before the salesman could find out what happened and catch me in his claws again. However, he proceeded to call me and leave me no less than 8 voice mails over the next day and a half trying to get me to come back in and rework the sale. I did call him back once–after probably the fifth voicemail–to try to put an end to it but he wasn’t taking “no” for an answer. The following Monday I’m browsing around other car lots and hear my phone ring. I answer the phone reflexively before I can think about it. As soon as I accept the call, but before anyone says anything, I know who it is.)

ME: “. . . (sigh) . . . Hello?”

SALESMAN: “HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY [MY NAME]! How you doing? This is [Salesman] over at [Dealership] and I was thinking about our DEAL–”

ME: [hangs up]

(The phone rang again about 10 seconds later and I let it go to voicemail. I listened to it later.)

SALESMAN: (very calm) “Hey there, [my name]. This is [Salesman] down at [dealership]. Hey I’m just so sorry that you feel so bad . . . in dealing with me . . . that AS A CHRISTIAN you think it’s okay to just hang up on me and not even give me the day of time [sic]. But you know what? That’s fine, man. I hope you have a nice life and that you find the car that you’re looking for. Bye.”

(Never heard from him again, thank goodness. Important car-buying lessons learned, and a great story gained, as a result, though).

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!