Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #190306

, , | Unfiltered | March 20, 2020

(A customer comes to return two items from two different receipts. We always have to process refunds on the exact method of original payment, down to the last 4 digits on the cards, for fraud prevention)

Me: Ok, so since these were both bought at different times and on different cards, I’ll have to do two transactions, ok?

Customer: No you can just do one, because I’ll put it all back on just one card.

Me: Well we actually have to return it to the exact same card it was purchased on.

Customer: Yeah and that’s a debit card.

Me: But two cards were used for these transactions, so I have to put the money back on each card.

Customer: (all of a sudden getting extremely rude and raising her voice) that’s ridiculous! I don’t have the other card with me; it’s my son’s and he’s at home! What am I suppose to do?

Me: You can either come back later with the card or I can give you store credit.

Customer: No way this is absurd, this has never happened before!

Me: Yes, this has always been our policy.

Customer: No way where does it say that!? Does it even say *anywhere* that that’s your policy?

(I turn around and read the huge sign on the wall that states our return policy. the customer I guess is reading it too)

Customer: oh… it does say that.

Me: yeah.

Customer: (rude again) it’s still ridiculous! I don’t want it on my son’s card, I want it on my card! And these things don’t even work anyway so what are you going to do?

Me: I’m going to give you store credit, or let you return it later with the right card.

Customer: Well what would you do if someone didn’t have their same card anymore!? what would you do then!? Huh!?

Me: We would give them store credit.

Customer: It’s not even an expensive item!

Me: It doesn’t matter how much it costs, we’re preventing fraud.

Customer: Well I’m not frauding you!

Me: It doesn’t matter if you’re not. This also prevents fraud from the associates. If it goes back on a different card, there’s nothing saying that I didn’t return this to my own card.

Customer: Well don’t you have a manager or something who can override it!?

Me: I’m the manager.

Customer: (suddenly all nice) oh! Well then nevermind! I’ll just come back with my son’s card later. Have a good day!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!