Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Can Tell Who Works Retail 

, , | Right | August 11, 2021

I go grab a sandwich at a well-known sub shop with a friend. I arrive before she does and I decide to go ahead and order. It isn’t during the lunch hour, so I am the only one in the store except for the employee behind the counter and the employee on break in the dining area. The employee behind the counter, an older lady, is very polite but it seems like she’s had a long day.

Employee: “What can I get you?”

Me: “I’d like a six-inch turkey and provolone on herb and cheese bread, please, with lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber.”

Employee: “You said six-inch.”

Me: “Yes.”

Employee: “Okay, sorry.”

She grabs the bread and slices it open.

Employee: “Turkey, right?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am.”

Employee: “Right, sorry.”

She puts the turkey on.

Employee: “And provolone? I’m sorry I’m asking so many questions, I just want to make sure I’ve got it right.”

Me: “Yeah, no worries! You’ve got everything perfect.”

She visibly relaxes and continues making the sandwich.

Employee: “Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, right?”

Me: “Yeah, see? You got this!”

Employee: “You know, I gotta say thank you. You’re probably the nicest person I’ve had in here today.”

Me: “Wow, really? Well, you’re doing a great job! I used to work fast food, so I understand.”

She smiled and finished up my order, and by that time, my friend had arrived, so we left the counter to find a table. I didn’t get to talk to the lady again before I left, but I’m glad I could help make her day a little easier. Be patient with people who are serving you! Your kindness might be the only kindness they see all day!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!