Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

With You, The Netherlands So Does Not!

, , , | Working | July 23, 2019

(Twice a week, I am an unpaid volunteer at a youth’s sports club. I help around for two hours a day and more than once stay late. I love working there. In the Netherlands, once a year, we have this special event called “The Netherlands Does,” where people are encouraged to do volunteer work for a day. Important people use this to show off, and even the royal family helps around, like baking pancakes for homeless people or painting sheds at youth centers. This conversation happens two weeks before another “The Netherlands Does” — TND for short.)

Coworker: “So, TND is around the corner. Have we all decided what we’re doing to do?”

(Several coworkers share their ideas. Most people help around the clubs of their kids.)

Coworker: “How about you, [My Name]? What will you do for TND?”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry, I can’t do anything else that day.”

Coworker: “What?! But it’s TND! What is so important that you can’t spend a few hours helping out others?”

Me: “Well… I’m teaching that day. At [Youth Sports Club].”

Coworker: “Can’t you skip that for a day?”

Me: “No, I can’t. If I don’t go and no replacement is found, the kids can’t do sports. I have two groups of kids that day. I don’t want to send them home.”

Coworker: “They have two more weeks! Come on, you have to do something for TND; everybody does something! If the king can make it, you can make it!”

Me: “[Coworker], I’m a volunteer there. Unpaid.”

Coworker: “Yeah, but you do that every week. That doesn’t count!”

Me: “I’m a volunteer there for about 40 weeks a year. I think I can skip TND.”

Coworker: “Ugh, you’re being so selfish! I don’t want to talk to you about this again!”

(She then went through the office telling everyone about her great project and that “some people should think about others for a change!’” just a little bit louder and looking my way.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!