Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Wish You Could Be Real With The Customers

| Right | December 24, 2016

(It’s December 23, and we are completely slammed. I’m at the tail end of a 9 am to 7 pm shift, and am looking forward to having the next week off from school and work. An older, professional-looking lady comes through my line with a huge cartful of groceries.)

Me: “Hello! How are you today?”

Customer: “Oh, just getting my Christmas dinner shopping done! I think I’ve bought too much. It’s quite busy in here tonight, isn’t it?”

Me: “The week of Christmas always gets a little crazy in here!”

Customer: “So, do you guys have special holiday hours this week?”

Me: “Today we are open normal hours, 7 am to 10 pm. We close at 7 pm tomorrow, because it’s Christmas Eve, and are closed all day on Christmas.”

Customer: “No extended hours for Christmas?”

Me: “No, ma’am. Your total is [total], and it looks like your credit card has been approved. I just need you to sign the receipt for me, please. Is there anything else I can help you with today?”

Customer: “Well, I think you should be open longer this week. You know, for those of us who have REAL jobs and are unable to get here earlier.” *tosses the receipt at me, smirks, and marches out of the store with her overflowing cart*

(The bagger, who is working an 11-hour shift, and I stare at each other.)

Bagger: “Did she just…”

Me: “Yep. Merry Christmas to us!”

(Thankfully, management didn’t take her suggestion. Seven years and two post-college jobs later, and I’d still never think of talking to a retail worker like that. Note to Customer: RETAIL JOBS ARE REAL JOBS!)


This story is part of our Christmas 2023 roundup!

Read the next Christmas 2023 roundup story!

Read the Christmas 2023 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!