Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Job May Require Telepathy, Part 2

, , , | Right | November 1, 2020

I am contracted by a client to provide technical and site support to their numerous facilities. The issues reported are often very simple to resolve, such as disabling a pop-up blocker for a certain site to be accessible. This seems to be the case for a link one caller reaches out to me for.

The following conversation occurs after I have authenticated her. This caller works in the medical field.

Caller: “I can’t access [link]. I go to the page the link is on, but it doesn’t work.”

Me: “Okay. To clarify, when you say it doesn’t work, do you mean that nothing happens at all? Or that a blank page opens? Or do you receive an error message?”

Caller: “It doesn’t work. I just click on it and it doesn’t work.”

Me: “So it does not open a new page?”

Caller: “No. It doesn’t work. I see the support number show up, but otherwise, it doesn’t do anything.”

Me: “Okay. So, it sounds like it isn’t opening the pop-up. You might have a pop-up blocker enabled. We can check that. What web browser are you using?”

Caller: “I don’t think I have a pop-up blocker.”

Me: “All right, we can double-check to make sure that isn’t the problem. Can you tell me which browser you are using”?

Caller: “Which what?”

Me: “Web browser. For example, are you in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Edge?”

As usual, I proceed to describe the appearance of the icon for each browser.

Caller: “I don’t know. I’m accessing it how I always do.”

Me: “When you initially open [Site], do you click on an icon that says [Site] on your desktop, or do you open the Internet and go to the website that way?”

Caller: “I am opening it just like I always do!”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, I understand that. Unfortunately, I do not know how you typically access it, which is why I am attempting to clarify so that we may more effectively troubleshoot and resolve your issue. Can you describe to me what you see at the bottom of your scree—”

Caller: “It’s exactly how I always open it! I’ll just figure it out myself!” *Hangs up*

Good luck!

Related:
This Job May Require Telepathy

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!