Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Their Coffee Knowledge Is Not Strong

, , , | Right | March 3, 2020

(My mom owns a coffee roasting company in northern Indiana. Once a year, we sell coffee at a booth at the county fair. My sister and I help her sell coffee and give out samples. A middle-aged man approaches me wanting a sample. For context, it’s important to know that stronger, more caffeinated blends are always our lighter roasts rather than our darker roasts simply because when the beans are roasted for longer it burns out a lot of the caffeine in the bean itself.)

Customer: “I need to try a cup of your strongest coffee ASAP.”

Me: “Absolutely!”

(I try explaining to him the process of how the beans are roasted to make stronger coffee — people tend to think darker roasts are stronger because of the taste — but he cuts me off mid-explanation.)

Customer: “I know about all that; I know my coffee, kid.”

Me: “Okay, good to know.” *hands him his cup* “There you go, sir. Have a good one!”

Customer: “Yeah, thanks.”

(As he starts to walk away, I see him sip the coffee, stop walking, and sip it again. He turns around and storms back to the booth, getting in my face.)

Customer: “What the h*** is wrong with you? Cut the bulls*** with me right now because I know this isn’t your strongest roast.”

Me: “Sir, I tried to explain to you that lighter roasts have the most caffeine; you said you wanted the strongest roast we had and that’s it right there.”

Customer: “Oh, right. Thanks.”

(He sipped one more time and just walked away.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!