Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Cookie Of Consideration

, , , | Right | July 20, 2020

I work at a popular café that gets really busy during lunch. One day when I am working at the cash register, an older woman comes in and starts complaining almost immediately, despite being second in line.

Customer: “It’s so busy! Can’t you get someone else to take orders?”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I’m the only one working on cash register today. I can take your order as soon as I’m done helping this customer.”

Customer: “That’s not acceptable! You’d better get your manager.”

I finish the order and get my manager to ring the woman up, and she spends about ten minutes berating my poor manager. The customer finishes ordering and sits down. About twenty minutes later, she’s back at my register.

Customer: “I’d like to order one of your $1.50 cookies.”

The café has a deal where you can get a cookie for a lower price if you order it with your meal and a drink. The menu clearly states that you have to order everything at the same time, but people still get confused from time to time.

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but you have to order the cookie with your meal and drink in order for it to be $1.50 so, unfortunately, I can’t do that. But I can get you a cookie for the normal price if you’d like?”

Customer: “No, I want my discounted cookie! Go get your manager; I’m sure she’ll agree that I deserve this after all the trouble you’ve caused me today.”

I go to the back, where the female manager who initially spoke to the customer is talking to a male manager. I explain the situation to both of them.

Male Manager: “Well, the policy is that—“

Female Manager: “No. Just give the customer the cookie. Don’t put [My Name] through that.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!