Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sadly, That’s Not A Wrap

| Working | December 4, 2015

(The coffee shop where I work has a terrible habit of hiring the worst employees, and since the manager doesn’t have the heart to fire people, he just reduces their hours to a half-shift per week. I have returned to work the summer, having worked the previous summer, and this coworker is my replacement during the rest of the year.)

Customer: “Hi, I would like to order a wrap, please.”

Me: “All right, one wrap, coming right up.” *to my coworker* “Hey, could you head over to the deli and make me a wrap?”

Coworker: “I don’t know how.”

Me: “…I’m sorry, what?”

Coworker: “I don’t know how.”

Me: “You’ve worked here since September, and you don’t know how to make a wrap…”

Coworker: *smiles* “Yup!”

Me: “I find that hard to believe.”

(As I continue the transaction with the customer, my coworker HOVERS beside me awkwardly for a few moments.)

Me: *to my coworker* “What do you need?”

Coworker: “Well, since I don’t know how to make a wrap, I’ll finish with this transaction and YOU can make it!”

Me: “…I have a better idea. Why don’t you go over to the deli and LEARN to make a wrap!”

Coworker: “But I don’t know how!”

Me: “Then you better start trying!”

(Taking twice the amount of time necessary to do so, he eventually made the wrap. My supervisor sent him home early, since she found that shifts went easier with him gone. This became a habit, and his hours were basically reduced to two hours per week. Making only twenty dollars a week, he continued to work there for the entire summer, and never quit or even mentioned looking for another job.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!