Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Providing Customer Service Is Racist

, , , | Right | January 29, 2018

Me: “Hi, welcome in. What brings you in today?”

(The customer walks up to me with her hand in my face. I have never seen this woman before in my life.)

Customer: “Stop. Don’t do that! I don’t want anybody following me around the store! I just want to look! If I buy, I buy. Now, I am going to walk to the back, and I don’t want you going back there with me!”

Me: *confused* “Okay…”

(The customer backs away slowly, then heads to the back. I have not moved from my spot, and continue to face towards the door. Meanwhile, my manager sees the woman in clearance by herself a few minutes later.)

Manager: “Hi, ma’am. Do you need help finding anything?”

Customer: “I am so sick and tired of everyone following me around. That girl—” *pointing at me* “—has been following me around since I got here. And she keeps asking me unnecessary questions!”

(I have not moved from the front of the store.)

Manager: “Okay, ma’am. I’m sorry you feel that way. It is our job to provide you customer service and make sure you find everything you need.”

Customer: “I don’t want none of that! I’ve been to your other store, and they didn’t say a word to me! They left me alone the entire time! I come in here, and she talks to me and follows me around the store! And now you come talk to me! Y’all are racist! I just want to be left alone. What is your corporate number?”

(We got a corporate complaint the next day that our associates were asking her too many personal questions, and that we treated her differently because of her race.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!