Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Parking Lot Meets The Parking Snot

, , , | Right | November 18, 2019

(I work at a valet parking garage downtown of a major city. We run multiple separate lots within a one-block radius and have monthly customers who park every day. They pay a decreased rate and we have to save spots for them but we also accept non-monthly customers, as well, who just pay an hourly rate. On this extremely rainy day, I am exceptionally busy with only a couple of spots left and several monthly customers still unaccounted for. I have a sign blocking the entrance of my lot saying I’m full when two cars pull in past it. I recognize them both as regular customers but neither are monthly; however, the first one who pulls in was involved in a tragic accident a few months back and it’s her first day back to work. I begrudgingly accept the first car, as she is on crutches without many options, and I approach the second car.)

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but we’re all filled up for the day, unfortunately. If you want to try one of our other levels, I’m sure they’d have no problem getting you in.”

Customer: *screaming* “No way! You let her in and I know she’s not a monthly, so if you let her in, you have to let me in!”

Me: “I’m really sorry. I’m only letting her in because she was recently involved in an accident and is on crutches; otherwise, I wouldn’t have room for her, either. She’s also only working half the day. But like I said, one of our other lots will be happy to take you in.”

Customer: “No, that’s not how this works. You have to let me in! I have [disease that has nothing to do with her mobility]. Your dad owns this place, right?”

(I should mention that my family owns the business with my uncle as the president, but I have no idea how she would know that as I have never told her.)

Me: *still standing in the pouring rain* “My uncle is the president, but I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. I have a line of monthly customers forming behind you now, though, that I need to get taken care of. I’m sorry for the inconvenience!”

(Next thing I knew, I saw her on the phone and realized why she’d asked that question; she was calling my boss to complain. He put her on hold, asked me what the situation was, and immediately got back on the line with her and told her to try another lot. I was just blown away that she would cause such a huge deal about it, especially if she intended to stay and park here again! Not that I would ever even dream of doing anything to her car, but I wouldn’t even consider leaving my car all day with someone I had just ticked off and then tried to get in trouble.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!