Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One-Time Is All It Takes

| Working | January 14, 2016

(A few months back, I gave my information to a grassroots peace organization in my area and became a donating member. I realized almost immediately after that, as a full-time college student, I don’t really have the money to make a monthly donation.I make efforts right away to cancel my commitment; I messaged the person that signed me up several times on Facebook, I called the organization four or five times and left messages (no one ever answered!), and I emailed them. I start to feel like I’m being scammed, though online reviews for the organization say they’re likely not malicious, just disorganized. After two months, nervous and upset that I’m getting no response whatsoever, I just cancel my credit card and get a new one. Soon after, a representative from the organization calls me, and the following conversation occurs.)

Employee: “I’m calling from [Peace Organization]. I see you listed as having been a donating member in the past, and we appreciate your support! However, our efforts are far from over, and I just wanted to ask if you’d be willing to sign up again!”

Me: “I’m sorry, and I do appreciate the work you’re trying to do, but the last time I was donating I tried to cancel my commitment and I got no response at all. I called a bunch of times. I don’t know if I’m comfortable giving you my information again until I know that’s better organized.”

Employee: “I’m sorry, and I have no idea how that happened! I don’t deal with that end of things. Still, if you could make just a one time donation, you would have no obligations afterwards!”

Me: “Well, yes, but like I said, I’m really not comfortable giving out my information again, after what happened.”

Employee: “But even just a one time donation could be such a big help! I’m sure it was just some kind of miscommunication.”

Me: “There wasn’t any communication at all. I made efforts to cancel, and I didn’t get any sort of response. Once again, even a one time donation would involve giving out my credit card information.”

Employee: “Right, well, I’ll talk to someone about that. Now, about that donation.”

Me: “I’m not comfortable donating at this time.”

Employee: “It would just be the one instance, with no obligation to donate after the fact, or in following months! And of course, you can cancel at any point, and take your information out of the system.”

Me: “All right, but the last time I tried to do that it didn’t work. As I have said, repeatedly.”

Employee: “But surely just a one time donation can’t be that much of a hassle!”

(This conversation went back and forth for a while until I got frustrated with trying to make him understand and just told him no and hung up.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!