Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

On Balance, At Least They Realized

, , , | Right | July 29, 2021

Our account servicing system is down. We can still do limited transactions but cannot open new accounts or provide balances. I have a customer who wants to make a deposit.

Me: “Also, just so you know, our systems are partially down. I can make your deposit, but I can’t give you a balance.”

Customer #1: “That’s fine.”

I process the deposit and hand him the receipt.

Me: “There you go. Have a nice day!”

Customer #1: “But where’s my balance?”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but our systems are partially down, and I can’t see your balance.”

Customer #1: “Well, can you see what it was before the deposit?”

Me: “No, sorry, I can’t. That part of our system crashed.”

[Customer #1] walks out, grumbling. Rinse and repeat for the next five customers. [Customer #6] approaches, and I give my speech again about the system being down. I process her deposit and hand her the receipt.

Me: “Here you go!”

Customer #6: “Oh, can I get my bal—”

She pauses and groans.

Customer #6: “And you literally just told me that balances are unavailable. Sorry!”

Me: “No, no. Thank you for paying attention.”

Customer #6: “Lots of people not paying attention?”

Me: “Oh, just a few.”

[Customer #6] turns around and announces to the rest of the lobby:

Customer #6: “Hey, people! They can’t give you a balance today because their systems are down! So don’t ask!”

She grabbed her receipt and walked out. The rest of the customers were much nicer after that.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!