Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No ID, No Idea, Part 52

, | Right | CREDIT: TrappedWithTheKey | November 10, 2023

My state has increased the minimum age for tobacco purchase to twenty-one. Every gas station in my local area now requires everyone, regardless of age at all, to show a valid ID to discourage the already ongoing issue of purchasing for underage people.

Customer: “Marlboro 100s.”

Me: “Sure, we do need to ask for ID.”

Customer: “What? Dude I’m like, twice your age.”

Me: “I’m still required to as part of my job, I completely get the frustration though.”

I’ve found that appearing sympathetic to a certain point can avoid issues sometimes, but not always…

Customer: “Yeah, I guess you conveniently forgot to card the pretty little white girl a minute ago, huh?”

Me: “Actually, she had just come back in after getting her ID since she had left it in the car and I couldn’t sell it to her otherwise. Again, I get it, but I still need to card everyone regardless of if they’re twenty-one or a-hundred-and-twenty-one.”

Customer: “F*** outta here, I’m going up the road for the cigs.”

Me: “Just the gas then today?”

I puts the cigarettes back in the slot.

Customer: “You really are gonna be a little b**** about it, aren’t you? You’re lucky if I don’t decide to sue you discrimination of age or attempting to steal identity information.”

I am seriously irritated and there’s a line forming which isn’t helping the stress at this point. 

Me: “Sir, I have to do my job regardless. If you really feel inclined to do so, I can’t legally try to stop you, but for now, if you’re still getting gas, please let me know… I don’t mean to sound rude but I’m the only one with a register open and there’s a line forming.”

Customer: “Right, now you’re just being a dumb-a**, but it’s cool. College isn’t for everyone I guess. I’ll just get the gas up the road.”

Me: *Internally fuming at this point.* “Understandable. Enjoy the rest of the day though!”

Customer: “What, you thought I was serious? $25 on nine.”

Thankfully he shut up until he got to the door after finally pre-paying for the gas… then blurts out that the company should be recognized for employing special-ed kids.

He was banned from the property after being caught giving two others a hard time like that too, once during the next shift after me, and once the following day to my manager directly.

Related:
No ID, No Idea, Part 51
No ID, No Idea, Part 50
No ID, No Idea, Part 49
No ID, No Idea, Part 48
No ID, No Idea, Part 47

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!