Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her Demeanor Shatters Like Glass

, , | Right | June 11, 2021

It’s the first day I’m covering a shift on my own at my first job ever in a bakery. I work at a takeaway stall which is outside and right in front of the main entrance of the bakery. Right next to me are also tables for customers, so I get that a lot of people are a bit confused about whether they have to order their food from me or if there is waitstaff for the tables, which there is.

At my stall, I sell ice cream and sandwiches. It’s a hot summer’s day, so a lot of people want ice cream and there’s a long queue. A couple comes up to me and the woman asks for three scoops of ice cream.

Me: “Sure, would you like it in a cup or in a cone?”

Since I’m takeaway, I only carry paper cups.

Customer: “In a glass.”

Me: *A bit unsure* “So, you mean in a cup?”

Customer: “Yes.”

I then fill the cup with three different flavoured scoops of ice cream and start to hand it over to her. That’s when the screaming starts.

Customer: “WHAT IS THIS?!”

Me: *Startled* “Umm, your ice cream?”

Customer: “NO, WHAT IS THIS?! I ordered ice cream in a glass! I have never been treated like this in a restaurant before. Who gives cups made of cardboard? WHAT IS THIS?!”

Her husband looks quite embarrassed. I realise that she wanted to sit at a table and have an ice cream made by the kitchen.

Me: “I’m very sorry I misunderstood you, but since I’m only takeaway, I can’t give you a glass. Would you like to take this one and still sit at a table or order a new one from the waitstaff?”

Customer: *Still very angry* “I WILL NOT EAT FROM PAPER! THROW THAT AWAY! I WILL ORDER A REAL ICE CREAM AT THE TABLE!”

She then walked off to a nearby table and her husband only had an apologetic look for me before following her. I had to throw away three perfectly fine scoops of ice cream.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!