Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doing Kindness A (Customer) Service

, , | Hopeless | March 18, 2017

(I am wearing khakis and a t-shirt, because I’m exactly the kind of person who wears khakis out. I am out shopping for a birthday present for someone when an older lady mistakes me for an employee at the store.)

Customer: “Hi, miss! Hello, could I trouble you for a little help?”

Me: “I guess so?”

Customer: “Which of these do you think a young lady would like better?”

Me: “Well, [Brand #1] tends to be made a little bit on the cheap side and [Brand #2] can run tight. Right now, [Brand #3] is pretty popular because they have some nice designs and decent quality.”

Customer: “Oh? Can you show me where those are?”

(I am kind of perplexed by this request, but I know where the display is, having just been there. I take her to the display and try to walk away.)

Customer: “How about this one? Her favorite color is purple. What goes with purple?”

(At this point, I figure that I’m not really doing anything anyway, so I stay with the lady and suggest a couple of necklaces that would look nice with the dress she picked out.)

Customer: “I really like this. I think my niece will absolutely adore it. Thank you for your help! I want to tell your manager what service you’ve shown me.”

Me: “Well, you could, but I doubt she would care.”

Customer: “Of course she would! Why wouldn’t she?”

Me: “Because neither of us works here.”

(The customer is silent for a few seconds.)

Me: “I’m a programmer. I don’t work here.”

Customer: “Well, I am so embarrassed! I thought you worked here.”

Me: “Don’t be! It was a nice way to spend part of an afternoon. I hope your niece likes her outfit!”

(I tried to reassure her, but she was red in the face and apologizing profusely. Ma’am, if you’re reading this, I just want you to know that it really was a nice way to kill time and I hope your niece liked her gift!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!