Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doesn’t Subscribe To Your Way Of Thinking

| Working | September 3, 2014

(My company provides trade magazines for a small subscription fee. They have started trying to sell them to people who sign up for the website my division runs. I and all of my employees are of course members of the website ourselves.)

Me: “Hello, thank you for calling [my division]. How can I help you?”

Caller: “Hi. I’m [Caller], and I’d like to talk to you about a subscription to [Magazine]! It gives you all the latest news on [industry].”

Me: “Hi! I actually work for [Corporate Parent] which publishes that magazine. My office gets three complimentary copies each month. Can you do me a favor and pull our number out of your list?”

Caller: “But the subscription also comes with free access to our website, with up to the minute news!”

Me: “I know. I already have access to the website.”

Caller: “You can’t have access without a subscription, and I show you as not having a subscription. If you sign up I can set you up with access today!”

Me: “I don’t think you’re getting it. I work for the company that publishes the magazine. I have the latest issue in my hand right now.”

(Confused silence.)

Me: “I work for the company who is paying you to make this call.”

Caller: “Oh.”

Me: “Please take my number off the list?”

Caller: “Okay, then!”

(Three of my division’s staff got the same pitch that week. I got the same call again from a different rep the next day. It happened for two months, even after I called the project lead who’d farmed the project out to the call center, and informed her she forgot to remove her own coworkers from the list!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!