Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Very Poor Understanding Of Charity

| Working | September 4, 2014

(It is shortly before Thanksgiving, and the grocery store I am shopping in has shopping bags filled with holiday items for needy families. The sealed bags are on tables by the checkout. To purchase one, as I had before, you just put it on the belt with your groceries, then pay, and drop it into a donation bin by the exit. I pick up one of these bags and put it on the belt with my groceries.)

Cashier: *gesturing to the charity bag* “That isn’t for you.”

Me: “I’m sorry…  What?”

Cashier: “Those are for needy families. You can’t have it.”

Me: “I’m not buying it for me. I’m going to put it in the bin by the door.”

Cashier: “You can’t buy those! They aren’t for you! You are taking food from needy families!”

Me: “I bought one the other day so it can be given to a needy family.”

Cashier: “They shouldn’t have let you. You have to put it back.”

(I am wondering if I should bother to have a manager called over when the cashier from the next checkout says to my cashier:)

Other Cashier: “What are you doing, [Cashier]? Those bags are for any customer to buy and donate. The store ships them to a charity that gives them to the families.”

Cashier: “Oh. I thought only the poor could buy them.”

(The cashier still seemed reluctant, but she did ring out my order and allow me to make my donation. I hope I was the first customer who had tried to buy one of those bags in her lane.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!