Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Closing Time Chaos

, , , | Right | CREDIT: MelodicBet1 | April 2, 2022

A few years back, I worked in a clothing store. At the time, we had a buy-one-get-one-70%-off sale on clearance. It brought in lots of people — the type of people who would drive thirty minutes home and then another thirty back to the store so we could adjust their bill and save them fifty cents.

The 70% was taken off the lowest-priced item. This is common. What it meant for us, however, was people standing at the till for twenty minutes sorting out their piles to try to get the best deals. Buy the $30 stuff in one transaction, $40 stuff in another, $10 stuff in yet another… because who wants 70% off of $5 when it’s all bought together, right?

And to be honest, we didn’t necessarily mind doing it. Most people were at least semi-decent about it, and we liked getting them the best deals.

Except for one night. These people were in just before closing, and we weren’t allowed to say anything to make them leave. We also only had thirty minutes to clean, count tills, do the bank deposit, fill out all the reports, etc,. and get out. So, these people were in and out of the fitting rooms, browsing away, and finally, fifteen minutes after closing, they came up to pay.

My manager rang them up and put everything together on one bill to get them out faster. And cue the meltdown.

Customers: “Wait! Which items got the discount?!”

My manager told them.

Customer: “We could be saving more! Redo everything!”

The manager sighed and started undoing everything on the computer. While that was processing and the customers were sorting piles, the manager picked up the phone behind the register and called her husband.

Manager: “Hi, honey. Don’t start dinner yet. I’m going to be late.”

Customers: *Livid* “You are incredibly rude!”

Then, they tried to storm out the door, except it was locked.

I followed them to the vestibule to unlock the door.

Me: “I’m sorry for what’s happened but we’re closed. We have been closed for a while now and we only have a certain amount of time to get the closing tasks done before we’re supposed to leave. We’re just… running out of time.”

They look from the door to me and one replies:

Customer #1: “You might be closed, but she doesn’t have to be so rude!”

By then, my manager was also there.

Manager: “I’ll still ring up your stuff if you want it. Your choice.”

They came back in and got their stuff. We let them out. I don’t think many chores got done that night. My manager and I were both frazzled. I ran around grabbing hanger bins and garbage and she did as quick a count as she could manage.

I wish we could actually say we’re closed.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!