Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Chicken Sandwiches From Heaven

, , , , | Right | March 23, 2022

Around 2006, I was travelling around Ireland on a budget. I was not earning much then and got really good at budgeting. I joined a local tour so the whole tour was already taken care of; I just had to bring extra for some meals, transport, and souvenirs.

At the end of the one-week tour, I was back in Dublin and going to the airport for my flight back to London. I realized that I had forgotten to set aside the €5 for the bus from Dublin to the airport. I emptied all that I had, and after setting aside that amount, I was left with about €1.37.

I had a night flight, so I did have to get dinner. I tried walking around Dublin, going into convenience shops, small shops, etc., trying to even find a sandwich to just fill the stomach. I couldn’t find any, as even the cheapest one was a few cents too much.

I decided to take the bus to the airport first as maybe, without tax, things might be cheaper there. After checking in and checking on the gate, I had a lot of time and I decided to try the airport’s [Fast Food Chain]. I wanted just a chicken burger or small thing, just to fill the stomach. I soon realized I was still a little short. I was trying to look at the menu and prices in front of the counter and trying to count my money when the teen working at the counter asked:

Employee: “What is it that you wanted?”

Me: “I don’t have enough so I’m not getting anything.”

Employee: *Emphasizing* “What would you like to get?”

Me: “Just a chicken burger.”

Employee: “How much do you have?”

Me: “€1.37.”

Employee: “No problem.”

With that, he walked away. He came back with a tray holding a chicken meal!

Me: “I can’t afford that. Just the burger will be enough.”

Employee: “It’s okay, just give me what you have.”

I gave him all that I had and thanked him profusely. He just waved me away with a smile and told me to enjoy my meal. I was so grateful that I ate with tears in my eyes. I was not destitute or homeless — in fact, I was travelling for leisure — but I had to accept the graciousness from a teenager. I felt so guilty. After I was done with the meal, I specially went to the counter to thank him again. He behaved as though it was nothing.

I’m so grateful after this incident that I’ve tried to show kindness and graciousness to whoever may seem like they need it. I never forgot about that incident even though it has been so many years. Thank you, angel boy!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!