Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Inflated Complaint

, , , | Right | March 1, 2021

I work at a pet store chain. I’m at the bottom rung of the corporate ladder, meaning I stock shelves and ring up customers. I have zero say in how the store is run, where things go, or how things are priced. Yet, somehow…

Customer: “Did the dog food increase in price?”

Me: “I’m not sure. It’s possible that it did; we update our tags each month.”

Customer: “Last time it was $1.79 a can, now it’s $2.29!”

Me: *Internally* “So, you know the price increased.” *Externally* “My apologies. Did you want me to take them off?”

Customer: *Ignoring me* “That’s too much. I can’t believe the price went up!”

Me: “Again, my apologies for that. I have no say in the prices—”

Customer: “Well, you have a mouth, don’t you? Tell your supervisors that they’re too much!”

I’m internally a bit frustrated but not about to show it.

Me: “My supervisors also do not control the prices, unfortunately. It all comes from corporate. We have to put the prices up as corporate tells us.”

Customer: “Well, next time, I might go elsewhere!”

Me: *Smiling* “You are more than welcome to! I would never ask someone to shop here if they aren’t satisfied with our prices.”

She harrumphed and left after paying. Funny thing is, I would’ve offered to price match one of our competitors, who I know charges around $1.89 per can of that brand, if she’d been less rude about it.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!