Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A-Head Of The Teacher

| Learning | November 10, 2016

(I’m a junior in high school and taking Algebra 2. I hate writing out unnecessary steps because it is completely pointless, so any work I can do in my head doesn’t get written down.)

Teacher: “[My Name], you need to start showing your work or I’m going to stop giving you credit for these problems. You shouldn’t be getting the answers out of the back of the book.”

Me: “I’m not. I do the first step in my head and just write down the simpler version of the problem.”

Teacher: “I don’t believe you.”

Me: “Seriously. Writing down simple multiplication wastes time and paper and I don’t want to do it. Why would I write out ‘six times six minus four times two times three equals twelve’ when I can do it in my head and write down the number?”

(She gives me a disbelieving look.)

Me: “Give me some problems like the ones in the homework. I’ll show you.”

(She writes down three or four problems very similar to the ones we’ve had to do the last few days. I do the initial multiplication necessary and write down the simplified equations.)

Me: “Do you want me to finish the problems?’

Teacher: “No, you can go back to your seat.’

(She never hassled me after that. Why on earth she thought that a 16- to 17-year-old girl couldn’t do such simple math in their head is beyond me.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!