Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Genuine Cents Of Change

, , , , | Right | September 13, 2011

(At this coffee shop, do not accept $100 bills because all $20 are automatically dropped into a safe and we cannot make adequate change. It’s a particularly busy day with a rather long line, and a customer approaches.)

Customer: “I want a medium americano.” *hands me $100 bill*

Me: “I’m sorry, but I don’t have enough change to accept that bill. Do you happen to have anything smaller?”

Customer: “No, this is all I have. I don’t have anything smaller.”

Me: “Well then, today is your lucky day. Your drink is on me today!”

(Note: I am trying to get the line moving and we’re allowed to give an arbitrary number of free drinks away a day if we think it’ll make the customer happy.)

Customer: “No, just take the money, please. I don’t want the free drink. Just get the change from the safe.”

Me: “I can’t do that, but your free drink will be up on the counter quickly.”

Customer: “I don’t want the free drink!” *storms out without drink*

(My manager, who had been eavesdropping on the entire exchange, approaches me after the customer leaves.)

Manager: “Well, that bill was obviously counterfeit. Good for you for not accepting it!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!