Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #246910

, , | Unfiltered | November 3, 2021

This happened few years ago when I worked as a cashier in a supermarket. Popular candy maker had just released a new X chocolate which came in bars, bags and boxes. We had a separate stand for the new products with a special offer of four candy bars for 1€. The offer was clearly marked and the word “chocolate bars” written twice on the ad sheet next to the bars.

A grumpy looking lady and her teenage son come to my register with a full cart. Everything goes fine, they pay and then the lady looks at the receipt.

Customer: This is the wrong price!

Me: Oh, I’m sorry, I will check that right away. Could you tell me which product it is?

Customer: This is always a problem here! ALWAYS! Your discounts NEVER scan right!

Me: I am very sorry, I will…

Customer (interrupting me): I feel like you are trying to cheat me every time! Look here, I have four boxes of X chocolate. They were meant to be four for 1€ and you charged me the full price! (about 3.5€ per box)

Me: I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but the ad clearly states that the discount is for 4 chocolate bars. Boxes are more expensive and unfortunately not part of the discount.

Customer: NO IT DOES NOT!! It said all new chocolate X products are four for 1€. This is a scam, I can’t believe this! You have no idea about your own campaigns. I want you to go and check the ad next to the chocolate. It will prove that I am right!

(By this point a long line has formed behind the lady and people are starting to look annoyed. I am not permitted to leave my register while it’s open, so I have to call and ask a colleague to go and check the ad.)

Me: My colleague will go and check the ad for you. Could it be possible for me serve the person behind you while you wait? They only have a few items.

Customer: NO!! You are serving ME now, unbelievable, they always try to cheat you about discounts…(She goes on in a similar vein and tries to get the customers behind her to agree with her. My colleague calls and confirms that (surprise surprise) the ad says “chocolate bars”.)

Me: I am sorry, the ad clearly states that the discount is for chocolate bars. Would you like to return the boxes?

Customer: IT DOES NOT!

Customer son, who looks really embarrassed: Yeah, it did mom, I saw it.

Customer: …well..I..THE AD WAS PLACED MISLEADINGLY! It was right next to the stand with all the new chocolates. How was I supposed to now which are discounted and which are not?!?

Me: …Because it is written on the ad sheet?

Customer (in a really condescending voice): Do you think that I have time to read all the ads? I would be here for hours!

The customer behind her in line: If it takes you hours to read the words “chocolate bar”, maybe you should do less shopping and go back to f*****g primary school?

(The customer lady just glared and left with her bags and full-priced chocolates. Unfortunately she became our regular after that for some reason and was almost always as cheerful as in this story.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!