Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #245834

, , | Unfiltered | October 17, 2021

I’m using the self-scan checkout at my local supermarket. As I’m scanning my items, an older woman comes along and puts her couple of items of shopping with the last of mine. This is a bit weird, but I’m using the self-scan checkout to avoid having a conversation with anybody that day because I’m in a bad mood, so I say nothing.

I scan the last of my items and tap ‘pay by card’ on the screen of the machine.

Woman: I’m paying cash.
Me, humouring her: Are you? That’s nice.
Woman: I’m not paying by card.
Me: Uh, okay.
Woman: Aren’t you going to change that?
Me: No? [I tap my card on the reader]
Woman: You haven’t put my stuff through!
Me: [Collects receipt, puts in in the bag]
Woman: Put my stuff through NOW! What’s wrong with you?
Me: I’m leaving now. Bye.
Woman: WHY WON’T YOU PUT MY STUFF THROUGH? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!
Me: [starts leaving]
Woman: [grabbing my arm] I’M HAVING YOU SACKED FOR THIS YOU RUDE B—–D! [Turns to face the store] HELP ME! HELP ME! SOMEBODY HELP ME!

A manager runs over and gives me a *very* sour look, unsurprisingly.

Manager: What’s the problem, madam?
Woman: This b—–d won’t scan my stuff! Sack him! I expect better of people in [different supermarket]!
Me: I don’t work here, and I don’t know what’s happening, so I’m just going to leave now.
Manager: Yeah, sorry about this.
Woman, shouting: SACK HIM! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU? HE PUT HIS STUFF THROUGH ON HIS CARD AND I WANT TO PAY CASH! WHY WON’T HE HELP ME? SACK HIM!
Manager: He doesn’t work here. And this is the self-scan checkout.
Woman: IF YOU DON’T SACK HIM I’M CALLING THE POLICE! HELP! HELP! POLICE!

At that point, hurrying just a bit, I left, with her shouts still audible once I was out on the street. No idea what happened after that, but I can’t fault the manager and I really, really felt awful for him. But my bad mood disappeared: I was *so* glad I haven’t had a customer-facing job for the last 15 years!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!