Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #209745

, , | Unfiltered | September 29, 2020

I used to work for a small dollar store as a sales associate. Couponers (as we call them) are a frequent type of customer that we deal with on a daily basis. On this particular night, we also had the 12 pack (or at least I thought we did) and the 24 pack of bottled water set right outside the doors because of an ongoing sale.

Me: Hello! *proceeds to scan items*
Customer: *ignores and argues with her mom*
Me: Is that everything for you today?
Customer: *in an annoyed tone* charge me the waters outside!
Me: Which one would you like?
Customer: THE ONE OUTSIDE!
Me: Yes, but which one?
Customer: *storms outside and points* THIS ONE!
Me: The 24 pack?
Customer: *now more angry* DO YOU SEE ANYTHING ELSE?!
Me: Oh, I’m sorry. I thought we still had the 12 pack outside.
Customer: *continues to snap at her mom then hands me coupons that have a limit on the amount of products she can take*
Me: I’m sorry ma’am, but I can only accept xx coupons because they specify a limit.
Customer: DO YOU THINK I’M STUPID OR SOMETHING?! THEY TAKE THEM AT THE OTHER STORE!
Me: I’m sorry, but we have policies at OUR store that I have to follow. (Keep in mind that we have already gotten into trouble by the district manager for accepting more coupons than the limit allows)
Me: Your total is $xx.xx (customer pays with a chip card and a popup appears on the monitor informing me that the card can now be removed) You can remove the card now please.
Customer: I’M WAITING FOR THE MACHINE TO TELL ME! (At this point the customer’s mom says something under her breath) NO! SHE’S BEING **** RUDE!
Customer’s sister: (to me) DON’T YOU **** TALK TO MY SISTER LIKE THAT!
Customer: I WANT TO TALK TO THE MANAGER! *storms off*

Considering that it is a small dollar store, the store manager is never available at night. Assistant managers and sales lead associates take turns taking the night shift. All while this is going on, the assistant manager on duty is on his lunch break.

Customer: SHE’S BEING **** RUDE! I WANT TO FILE A COMPLAINT!
Asst. Manager: What seems to be the problem?
Customer: (explains her version of what happened)
Asst. Manager: Well, ma’am. If you want, this time I will accept the coupons, but the next time we can’t because of store policies.
Customer: NO!! THAT’S NOT ENOUGH! SHE WAS BEING **** RUDE TO ME!!
Me: (overhearing) Ma’am, I wasn’t trying to be rude, but if I seemed rude to you, then I apologize. I didn’t know we only had the 24pk outside. It wasn’t..
Customer: *cuts me off* SHUT UP! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR YOU!
Customer’s sister: (to me) YOU NEED TO STOP BEING **** RUDE!!
Asst. Manager: Ma’am, I already said I would accept your coupons. If you don’t want me to do what you wish, then there’s nothing more I can do for you. I can’t fire her and I won’t. And as far as the waters, she apologized.
Customer: OF COURSE YOU CAN’T! BECAUSE YOU’RE NOTHING! A NOBODY!
Asst. Manager: Well, that’s your opinion. If you want call the 1800# and report me. I am responsible for her. Now I am on my lunch, so if you will excuse me..(goes back to eating and customer storms off).
Me: What just happened?

Later that night after the store closed he asked me what really happened..honestly don’t have a clue. Even a fellow sales associate (who was charging on the register right behind me) said that I didn’t even say anything rude.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!