Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #208057

, | Unfiltered | September 15, 2020

Me: *noticing a customer reaching for a particular spoon* Oh, I’m sorry. I don’t know how that got in their. I’ll just take that and put it where it belongs.

The customer nods but picks up the spoon anyway and puts it in their cereal. Normally I would let it slide, but those particular spoons are expensive, and we’re charged the potential risk of damage if they aren’t in the right store when inventory is checked.

Me: Sorry, but would you mind using another spoon? That one was put here by mistake.

Customer: Are you assuming my gender?

Me: I – what?

Customer: So a MAN can’t use this?

Me: No, I’m saying-

Customer: *getting irate* SO ENAMEL IS ONLY MEANT FOR WOMEN? WELL, WHAT IF I’M A WOMAN!

Me: *totally confused* They’re meant for weddings and christenings; not for construction workers to eat their Rice Krispies. That spoon on it’s own is probably worth more than the rest combined, and can lose a day’s worth of pay if it isn’t booked and returned, ASAP.

The customer glares at the spoon before setting it down gently. They sheepishly mumble “sorry” before getting another and hurrying away.

This is the first time I have had anyone use that “assuming gender” line, which I honestly thought at that point was just a meme meant for highlighting transphobia. I’ve spent most of the morning wondering if the customer accidentally came out as transgender, or was just trying to come up with a reason to use the spoon.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!