Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #197537

, , | Unfiltered | June 21, 2020

(I had started working at this store about 2-3 days prior to this and been allowed the run register alone while stocking the nearby shelves. I had finished a small line and am about to start on stocking shelves, checking between boxes, when, before I can even get a box open, I hear…)

Customer: AHEM!

(I set the box down and head to the register, having to take a bit of a lengthy route due to my position in the store and the entrance/exit to the employee side of the register. Despite this, it usually take no more than 15-30 seconds, tops.)

Me: (Starting to scan up his small order) So-

Customer: ABOUT TIME! I’VE BEEN WAITING HERE FOR FIVE MINUTES!

Me: (Ignoring the fact it might have been a minute or so) Sorry about that, I wa-

Customer: Whatever! I’ll also get a pack of Pall Mall Blue 100s.

Me: (Finishing up the regular purchases and unlocking the tobacco case) Do you have your driver license with you?

(Note: This store requires a VALID ID _regardless_ of age)

Customer: Don’t I look old enough for you! (He looks around 40 or 50)

(The customer looks like he’s about 40 or 50 years old, but as stated before it’s required I check by store policies)

Me: I’m sorry sir, but I still need to check as i-

Customer: Don’t give me that shit! Do I look like I’m some shithead 16 year old like you are?!

(I’m in my Mid 20s, and am actually slightly taller than the customer.)

Me: It doesn’t matter, we check ID regardless of a-

(Before I can finish, he flings his wallet at me. Thankfully nothing flies out, but still startles me as I open it up to check his ID. Sadly it expired about 2 years prior, meaning it is no longer valid and I hear the employee door opening behind me.)

Me: I’m sorry sir, but do you have another ID? This one is ex-

Customer: It doesn’t fucking matter, hurry up and scan my damn cigarettes and type in my fucking birthday. It’s (rattles it off) just in case you can’t fucking read it you high school dropout!

(At this moment, I’m biting my tongue as I really want to tell him off, but I just look at him squarely in the eyes. Take a deep breath before handing him back his wallet.)

Me: I’m sorry, co-

(He tries to cut me off but I keep going.)

Me: -mpany policy states that I am required to accept only a valid, non-expired, non-altered form of ID whenever I am selling items that have a age restriction, re-

(Once again, he tries to cut me off.)

Me: -gardless of their appearance. Therefore, if you do not have a valid ID I cannot nor will not sell you your cigarettes. As it stands, your total is currently [around $10 or $15].

Customer: Listen here you God damn mother fucking son of a bitch! I am fucking X God damn years old, and you HAVE to sell me the fucking damn cigarettes! I am the fu-

(Just then, I heard my manager behind me.)

Manager: GET OUT!

Customer: And just who the fuck are you little cunt?!

Manager: Excuse me, Sir. However, I am the manager of this store and I am telling you get out, NOW! If you keep insulting my employee, who has told you exactly why he can’t sell you your ‘fucking damn cigarettes’, I will call the cops on you. Furthermore, if I see you back in my store again, I will call the cops without any further warning.

Customer: I’m not leaving here until I get my fucking cigarettes!

(At this point the manager tells me to get to the back, pushing a button and dialing on the store phone. About 5 or so minutes later, she returns with an officer and I’m trying to figure out what happened. They ask me about the customer and when I state he threw his wallet and was insulting me, the officer nods and the last thing I see is the customer, still yelling about his cigarettes, being shoved into a police car. As of right now, I have no idea what happened to him, but, if he was they aggravated about his cigarettes, I can only hope he’s at least going through some addiction program or something.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!