Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #191931

, , , | Unfiltered | April 14, 2020

(In October 2015, a law was passed that requires any building with a gas boiler or fire to have a carbon monoxide alarm. My store sells a combined alarm and I was just promoting this to a customer. It is worth noting that gas safety and carbon monoxide was part of GCSE chemistry when I sat the exams)
Me: Sir, it would save you around £10 if you bought this combined alarm instead of the two separate units. It’s completely battery powered so you can set it anywhere.
Customer: Oh wow, that sounds really good.
(As I begin to process the order)
Customer: By the way, this is to detect gas right?
Me: No, carbon monoxide is produced when a fuel isn’t getting enough oxygen when being burnt, it’s nicknamed the silent killer because it effectively suffocates you by combining with the part of our blood that carries oxygen 10 times better than carbon dioxide, which is what we breathe out normally.
Customer: I see, the thing is, I just moved and I think I might have a gas leak, but I want to make sure with an alarm. Do you have one for gas?
(Rather worried, I write down the website for the Gas Safe Register, which gas engineers are legally required to be part of.)
Me: If you’re worried about a gas leak, go onto this website and find a local engineer. They’ll have the equipment to tell you and even provide the means to verify the cards all engineers carry. Whatever you do, do not flick your light switches, the possible spark can set off any gas.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!