Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #155584

, , , | Unfiltered | June 30, 2019

(I work at a Department of Licensing office, where we are required to check ID for pretty much everything. This woman comes in wanting to renew her license plate tabs, and I ask for ID, this is the conversation that ensues.)

Customer: *hands me a credit card with a photo on it.*

Me: “I’m sorry ma’am, I need a photo ID card to do this for you.

Customer: “That is a photo ID. It has my photo, it has my name, its a photo ID.”

Me: “I’m sorry, this is a credit card, not a legal ID card, I can’t accept it. Do you have a state ID, military ID, or passport? Any of those are acceptable.”

Customer: “That is an ID, it has my photo and it has my name, it’s an ID. Just give me my stickers.”

Me: “I’m sorry, I can’t without photo ID. State, military and passport are the only ones that qualify.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous, this has my name, it has my picture, why won’t you take it?!”

Me: “Because they would fire me. That is not a photo ID, it’s a credit card. I can’t accept it as ID. Please come back with a drivers license, state ID or passport.”

(the customer leaves in a huff, gets into her car and drives away. The next person in line steps up to me.)

Customer #2: “Sooo, if she doesn’t have her drivers license with her… but she drove here?”

Me: “Yep! Happens all the time.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!