Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #108191

, , | Unfiltered | April 2, 2018

(I am a female in my early twenties. This customer is a man who looks to be in his fifties or so; older than my dad.)

Customer: “Hi, could I just get a bag from you?”

Me: *confused since he’s not actually buying anything* “Um, sure… Here you go.”

Customer: “Oh, that’s great! Thank you. You see, I’m buying my wife an iPad for Christmas but I don’t want her to guess what it is, so I’m gonna put it in here.”

Me: “Oh, in that case, here…”

(Our bags are pretty see-through, but we have tissue paper we use to wrap things, so I grab a sheet of that and put it in the bag for him.)

Customer: “You’re just wonderful! Thank you! If I wasn’t already married, I’d marry you!”

Me: “… Thanks… have a nice day.”

(He leaves.)

Me: *to coworker who was close enough to hear the exchange* “Yay for inappropriate compliments.”

Coworker: “Yeah. Thanks for making me totally uncomfortable after I helped you!”

Me: “Really though.”

([Coworker #2] walks over, and sees what must still be a confused/weirded out look on my face.)

Coworker #2: “You okay?”

Me: “Oh, yeah. Some old guy just said he wanted to marry me…”

Coworker #2: “What? Why?”

Me: “Well I gave him a bag.”

Coworker #2: “…of course.”

Coworker #3: “What happened?”

Coworker #2: “[My Name] just got proposed to!”

Coworker #3: “What?”

Coworker #2: “Yeah, because she gave him a bag.”

Coworker #3: “Well, sure…”

Me: “I mean, that’s just what you do, right? Totally normal.”

(I love that everyone I work with can just go along with something crazy like it’s no big deal! Some stranger wants to marry you over a plastic bag? Why not?)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!