Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Are Literally Wrong

| Learning | February 3, 2015

(This is in my speech class. We are giving presentations about our hobbies.)

Me: “I enjoy camping and nature. However, I haven’t enjoyed Nancy Lake since I literally died there—”

Teacher: “Stop right there! Apparently, kids can get into 10th grade these days without knowing the difference between ‘literally’ and ‘figuratively.'”

Me: “But…”

Teacher: “No, I said stop!”

(Goes to the whiteboard and writes ‘remedial’ on the board, and then the definition of ‘literal’ and ‘figurative’. He turns and calls on several other students, asking for examples. When I try to protest, he makes a silencing noise.)

Teacher: “Okay, I hope you were listening. It’s your turn.”

Me: *annoyed by now* “When I fell into the water at Nancy Lake when I was six, I drowned and was legally dead for three minutes before being revived by CPR. So, I ‘literally’ died there. Mr. [Teacher] likes to jump to conclusions and humiliate students, making him ‘figuratively’ an a**-hole.”

(And then I got sent to the principal’s office.)


This story is part of our celebration of Not Always Right publishing over 100,000 stories!

This story is included in the roundup of Not Always Learning stories to toast this achievement!

<< Previous Story  |  Roundup  |  Next Story >>

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!