Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Working From Home Isn’t Working

| Related | August 29, 2014

(I work from home, and my ‘home office’ is actually my bedroom. I live with my parents, due to the expensive housing. Like anyone, I want to not be disturbed. However, my family doesn’t appear to comprehend this, so whenever I am busy, I have put up a sign on the door requesting to not knock unless it’s an emergency.)

Mom: *knocks on the door*

Me: *to the teleconference* “One second.” *mutes the microphone* “Yes?”

Mom: “Did you run the dishwasher today?”

Me: “Is this an emergency?”

Mom: “Well I need to know before I start putting dirty dishes in there!”

Me: “Mom, this can wait. Kind of busy here.”

(Later, dad knocks, and I walk over to answer.)

Me: “Yes?”

Dad: “What’s the weather supposed to be like this week?”

Me: “Did you read the sign? I’m trying to file this electronic report.”

Dad: “What sign?”

(Right next to us, at exactly his eye level, is the sign, written in big bold letters. Yet later, my younger sister walks in and nearly gives me a heart attack.)

Me: “Yes?”

Sister: “Have you seen Anchorman?”

Me: “… I am typing up an order form here. Didn’t you see the sign?”

Sister: “I did. This can’t wait! It’s on TV tonight!”

(Note that we have DirectTV, which lets you record TV programs. When I start looking for something in town to rent and use as an office, my parents just cannot comprehend why I’d possibly want to do that when I can work from home…)


This story is part of the Working From Home roundup!

Read the next Working From Home roundup story!

Read the Working From Home roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!