Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Who’s The One Behaving Like A Child Here?

, , | Right | January 20, 2022

I have been told quite often that I sound about fifteen on the phone, despite being in my late twenties. I work as a project associate, but sometimes I watch the front desk when the receptionist has to be absent.

Me: “[Business], this is [My Name] speaking. How may I help you today?”

Caller: *Patronizing tone* “Sweetheart, can you get [Event Manager] for me?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but she’s out of the office until this afternoon. May I give you her voicemail?”

Caller: “The event starts at 11:30 and I need to register. Are you sure she’s not in?”

Me: “I’m afraid she’s not. But I can register you. I just need a name, phone number, and email address.”

Caller: “Honey, I need to speak to [Event Manager]. Go get her, please.”

Me: “Sir, she’s not going to be in until this afternoon. But I can definitely register you. We have slots open at 11:45 and 12:25, and several later this afternoon.”

Caller: “Okay, sweetheart, can you at least get me your supervisor?”

Me: “Of course, sir. One moment, please.”

Apparently, he complained that a child was allowed to work at the front desk, which my supervisor found amusing, as I’m trained on almost everything in the office to serve as a backup person and most definitely can handle a registration.

One week, while the receptionist was sick, I also had a number that called repeatedly, and when I picked up it was heavy breathing, so that was super creepy. Since the person might have been a member, I couldn’t just ignore it, but wow, was it an uncomfortable situation.

In contrast, though, our elderly lady patrons are always super sweet to me on the phone. I guess they have no issue with a “child” helping them.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!