Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Tipped To Be Bad Customers From The Beginning

| Right | November 26, 2015

(I work in a restaurant where management at times allows us to politely approach customers who tip us very poorly, as long as we ask what we may have done wrong and if there is anything we can improve upon for next time, etc. Nothing rude, just simply asking why the service was not up to certain standards. I have couple sit in my section for a couple hours. They leave me $4 on a $60 tab. It is very rare that I receive such a low tip as I never have any complaints about my service.)

Me: “Pardon me, I do not mean to be rude or disrespectful but I was wondering if there was anything wrong with my service today?”

Woman: “No. It was fine. Why?”

Me: “Well I was just curious because the tip left on the credit card receipt was for less than 10% and I was wondering if there was something I did wrong.”

Man: “Was 10% not good enough?”

Me: “Well, sir, $4 is not even 10% of $60. And 10% is a low tip which usually reflects poor service, and I was just asking if there was something I could improve on to make your next experience with us better.”

Man: “Well… you didn’t bring us glasses of water.”

Me: “Sir, you never asked me for waters.”

Woman: “Well, that should hardly matter.”

Me: “So… just to be clear… you tipped me 10% because I didn’t bring you something that you never asked me for?”

Woman: “We shouldn’t have to ask. You should just know what we want. We’re the customer and it’s your job to know how to make us happy.”

Me: “Ma’am, it is my job to bring you what you order… not to read your mind. I’m a waitress, not a psychic.”

(They complained to my manager and my punishment was a free shot and getting sent home early to try and forget people like that exist… Sometimes mouthing off has its benefits.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!