Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Whole Thing Has Gone To Pot

| Working | August 1, 2016

(I work at an apartment complex with university-aged student workers. Sometimes they aren’t the brightest crayons in the box. I am sitting at my computer when one comes over to speak with me.)

Student: “Hey, [My Name], I know you showed me how to make coffee before, but can you show me again?”

Me: “I’m working on something at the moment, but I can tell you how again quickly. What have you done already?”

Student: “Nothing, but I know I use a bag and something else…” *scrunching his face while thinking too hard*

Me: “A filter! Don’t forget that! So put one-and-a-half bags of coffee with a filter into the top and then put the pot underneath. Push the “on” button and that’s it.”

Student: “Oh, yeah! Ok, I’ll do that.”

(He leaves my office and I go back to working. Five minutes later, he pops his head back in.)

Student: “Hey.”

Me: “Yeah, [Student], what’s up?”

Student: “Do I need to remove the lid before putting the pot under?”

Me: *trying to be sure he is serious* “Yes, otherwise it wouldn’t go into the pot.”

Student: “Ok, just making sure. So one-and-a-half bags in the top; put pot underneath.”

Me: “A filter!”

Student: “Oh, yeah, a filter, and push on. Got it!”

(I see him go by with a look of accomplishment on his face so I go back to my project. Another student comes by to grab the coffee, then quickly runs to my office.)

Student #2: “Who made the coffee?!”

Me: “[Student], why?”

Student #2: “Well, there’s coffee running out of the pot, onto the bar, and onto the floor?”

Me: *I call the front desk* “[Student]! Why is there coffee all over the floor? You did check to make sure the pot was empty and clean right?”

Student: “Nobody told me I had to do that!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!